The Mt. Yonah Elementary Counseling program is designed for all students. The Counselor provides well-planned developmental guidance activities to help children learn skills needed to face the challenges of school and everyday life.
School Counseling programs promote and enhance student learning in three broad content areas. The first area is academic development, which includes activities to support and maximize student achievement. Second, career development, introduces skills and knowledge that enable students to make a successful transition from school to work. The third area, personal/social development, promotes personal and social growth as students’ progress through school and into adulthood.
The School Counselor performs a variety of duties and facilitates many activities for the school. These include and are not limited to the following:
- Individual and crisis counseling with students as needed.
- Group counseling with small groups of children who have similar concerns.
- Classroom guidance lessons, for all grades levels, cover a variety of topics including personal/social, personal safety, academic support, career awareness, and other preventative lessons.
- Consultation with parents and teachers to assist in meeting the individual needs of students.
- Coordinating referrals to school system services and community agencies.
- Providing resource information for parents.
- Planning Student Recognition programs and activities.
- Assisting with school attendance incentive activities.
- Promoting a “Bully Free” school and other school-wide behavior and preventative initiatives.